Agricultural industries in the Wimmera Southern Mallee
The Wimmera Southern Mallee is a major agricultural and food producing region. The grains industry dominates the region and it produces much of Victoria’s grain crop, oilseeds and pulses as well as hay fodder. The region is also a significant producer of lamb and wool, and, in the southern farming areas, beef cattle. Other agricultural industries include intensive animal production such as feedlotting, pigs and poultry and horticultural enterprises such as grapes, olives and flowers.
Supporting industries and services include agricultural research, agronomists, marketing, equipment and transport including:
- The Birchip Cropping Group Inc (BCG) is a not-for-profit agricultural research and extension organisation led by farmers from the Wimmera and Mallee regions of Victoria. Based at Birchip, the organisation aims to improve the prosperity of farmers and agricultural communities through farmer-driven innovation, research and extension.
- Longerenong College offers vocational education and training in agriculture and land management. Located 14 kilometres from Horsham, the 1070-hectare farm includes cropping, sheep (merino and prime lambs) and beef cattle enterprises.
- Wimmera Catchment Management Authority works in partnership with the community, stakeholders, and partners to deliver a range of services to improve and enhance the condition of the region’s environment.
- Agriculture Victoria's Grains Innovation Park in Horsham is a world-class research facility delivering science and innovation to the local, national and international grains industry. Research activities include new pulse variety breeding, crop agronomy, soil sciences and nutrient management, crop protection and biosecurity and the Australian Grains Genebank and Plant Phenomics Victoria facilities.
- The Horsham Regional Livestock Exchange is an important part of the local economy and one of regional Victoria's main livestock selling centres. The livestock exchange is Victoria's fourth-largest sheep and lamb market and is the major livestock selling centre in the Wimmera, attracting vendors from as far afield as the South Australian border and southern New South Wales.