What is the regional response to COVID-19?
The Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic is an unprecedented event in recent history.
The Victorian State Government has declared the state of Victoria in a "COVIDSafe Summer." As restrictions ease, it’s important that we act to keep ourselves and others safe.
- Stay safe by washing your hands regularly, having a face mask with you and wearing it when required, coughing and sneezing into your elbow, and keeping at least 1.5 metres from others wherever you can.
From 11.59pm, Sunday 17 January 2021, face masks will no longer be mandatory in all public indoor settings however you must carry a face mask with you at all times when you leave home.
The Wimmera Development Association plays a key role in supporting our community during emergencies affecting the municipality, and we are constantly monitoring and responding to this situation.
Our primary focus is to ensure that we have the best chance of avoiding the severe impacts of COVID-19 through working closely with regional healthcare providers, supporting businesses through the restrictions set by the State Government, and keeping the community informed about the latest Coronavirus updates and safety measures.
Evidence from around the world has shown that pre-emptive measures are extremely effective in containing the spread of the disease. It is important to act now to reduce the risk of infection, reduce the spike of infections and protect our community as a whole, especially those who are more vulnerable.
It's important to remember that this situation is changing daily.
The Wimmera Development Association will provide regular updates to keep our community informed.
Key objectives of Wimmera Development Associations approach to the COVID-19 pandemic is to work with our local government partners to:
- Contain the spread of COVID-19
- Maintain a healthy workforce
- Provide strong leadership across the municipality
- Keep residents informed about what we are doing and why we are doing it
- Support local health and emergency services
- Deliver key messages in partnership with local agencies
Key messages for our community:
- Remain calm
- This is a significant risk to our entire community
- We all have a responsibility to minimise the risk
- Social distancing and practising good hygiene is critical